Benefits of Chewing Gum
Chewing gum is not a substitute for brushing teeth or flossing, but it has been proven to improve oral health in conjunction with these other methods.
Why is Chewing Gum Good for your Teeth?
- Chewing sugar-free gum stimulates saliva up to X10 more than usual production, therefore is great for relieving the discomfort of a dry mouth.
- Salvia is the body’s natural defence against tooth decay and allows sugars to clear the mouth more quickly.
- Salvia contains ‘buffering agents’ which help the plaque’s pH level to neutralise after a sugar intake and helps to reduce risk factors linked to tooth decay.
So what gum should you chose?
- For chewing gum to have the oral health benefits mentioned it must be sugar-free.
- The key ingredient to look for in a good sugar-free gum is xylitol. Xylitol has been shown to reduce dental plaque.